Ph: 07 5449 8099
Davo's North Shore
938 David Low Way, Marcoola
Ph: 07 5448 8244
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 12 Mar 13

Post by Brad » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:26 pm

Again with the weather! I have to admit it has had a big affect on the fishing of late but hopefully an end is in sight. I know that there are plenty of smaller snapper to 2kg's out on the inner reefs around the Gneerings and the Caloundra 5 & 7 mile reefs from the boys that jsut do it, regardless of the weather. Personally I would rather be riding a bucking bronco in a bathtub than be outside at the moment. Plenty of moses perch and tuskfish still around as well as trag jew. They are in my opinon a very boring fish to drag up from the depths but good on the shallow reefs on light gear. The seas will be rough for sometime to come but there may be a chance of a close in trip coming closer to the weekend if all the weather gods finally meet and bring an end to hostilities.

The estuaries are firing if you are prepared to get a little wet behind the ears with mangrove jack still taking baits right around the coast. Twin Waters, the Mooloolaba Canals, Kawana and the Pumistone Passage are all target areas for these fighters and a live poddy mullet or bigger herring will just have them slobbering all over your bait. Whiting are around in numbers for those prepared to put in the hours and smaller yabbies and squirt worms are the best to nail a good feed. Bream take a little less effort to find in the bad weather periods because they love to hide and stick to structure so look around for the obvious spots to get some. A few flathead within the passage and Maroochy River systems and some chopper tailor around the bridges at McKenzies on the tide change chasing schooling bait. McKenzies Bridge can be quite frustrating at times and then other days it just turns on the fish so stick with it during the worst of the weather.

Overall the rivers have lost that bad coffee colour really quickly this time around so I expect that the crabs will be absolutely on the chew in the coming weeks. Look at areas around the Bli Bli bridge and the back end of the Pumistone Passage for likely spots. Plenty of baitfish about from the pontoons and jetties around the traps, so biat should not be an issue. Don't forget the Tinnie & Tackle Show this weekend, maybe I will see you there. I am still looking for a reporter to take over the Caloundra area. Let me know if you have an interest in reporting. Have Fun!