Ph: 07 5449 8099
Davo's North Shore
938 David Low Way, Marcoola
Ph: 07 5448 8244
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 1 Oct 13

Post by Brad » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:53 pm

Well the weather has certainly been well below average for offshore anglers and that is poor for all of you who have decided to pack up the boat and bring it on holidays. I bet there are a ton of blokes out there getting an 'I told you so by their wives' at the moment. Big winds are the order for the rest of the week so it looks like a chance for estuary anglers only or out to the dams for some freshwater activity. I would look within the Pumicestone Passage down south past Coochin Creek to catch a few flathead and whiting. Bream are around the pontoons and recently I have found that the canal areas around Kawana Island and Minyama are full of good size bream and worth a trip up to the La Balsa Park boat ramp to launch and work your way around the systems. Fish around the rock walls at Mooloolaba for bream and trevally and work the area around the long liners and trawlers for bigger trevally. Evening fishing is the best around these areas.

Cast your bait, plastics, hard bodied lures or blades right up to the bank and let them sink slowly down before retrieving them at a dead slow pace. Alternatively get it right up under the pontoon and let it sink before retrieving. There are some whopper mangrove jack around the Maroochy River system and strips of fresh mullet or live prawns make the best baits. Live herring are certainly a good second choice if you can nail a few of the them in a cast net. Fish the Parrearra Channel in the afternoon or early morning for bait schools being smashed by tailor and trevally. Poppers or skip baits are the right equipment to use in these situations along with small 10g chrome slugs. There are still plenty of crabs being caught in the canals but patience is the key in some areas.

When fishing the canals and pontoons please remember that they are private property so respect it. By staying on the drift you will cover plenty of ground and then work the areas where you get the bites. Berley is a good thing to keep using to hold the fish in the areas you are working. If you want to have a go at the beach you may catch a bream or dart but overall it is fairly average at the moment. So look for flathead and bream this week and I hope the remainder of the holidays work out better on the fishing front. Have Fun!
Attachments
Peter with a nice bream caught in the canals.png