Ph: 07 5449 8099
Davo's North Shore
938 David Low Way, Marcoola
Ph: 07 5448 8244
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 31 Jan 14

Post by Brad » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:45 am

One month of the year has already gone...how fast was that!
After a really good day last Saturday on the mackerel the wind has obviously put a stop to offshore action for a couple of weeks so fix up your gear and get ready. It will take a little while to settle down but remember the fish will be hungry.

The estuaries are a little slow but there are bream and whiting to be taken. The whiting have been caught in patches right around the Pumicestone Passage but more often down the southern end of Bell's Creek than anywhere else at the moment. I have seen a few thumpers that have taken yabbie baits and it would only take four of them to feed a family to give you some idea of size. There are still mangrove jack around the traps and it seems that the canals around Kawana have presented the better opportunities.

The mangrove systems down the southern end of the passage hold numerous areas that hold 1-2kg jack so take the time and have a look around. Small hard bodied lures or paddle tail soft plastics are the best to flick in close to the mangroves. If you are using bait then live poddies are the best along with prawns. A live prawn is absolutely deadly on jack along with big bream.

Still a few flathead to be caught around Happy Valley and the deeper water of the Passage around the mouth of the Caloundra Bar. Trolling around the main channel from the bar through to the Blue Hole with hard bodied lures can also be rewarding. In the dirty water I use the Elton John colours and they work well. I also like the deep red and black colours as they create the larger shadows. Should be an interesting couple of weeks weather wise but it will make us better fishermen trying to catch them in such conditions. Have fun!