Davo's North Shore
938 David Low Way, Marcoola
Ph: 07 5448 8244
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 27/5/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri May 27, 2016 3:39 pm

May 21
The bay just outside the Mooloolah River is a great spot for some Tuna or at the Gneerings for a few sweetlip and squire while the wind is up. There have been a few flathead around the Basin with small whiting and fingermark also. Labalsa Park in general has had a few small Golden Trevally reported today with plenty of bream on the chew.
Kawana21.jpg
Here we have Jacob with a beautiful 56cm Flathead caught at Labalsa Park using prawns and with that he also caught a Golden Trevally.
May 23
Morning report: There are plenty of Grassies and squire offshore with a few nice Jew caught off Coolum and Murpheys. The big Spanish Mackerel are still around with the odd 15kg one offloaded at the boat ramp. The Caloundra and Currimundi marks have performed the best while the Gneerings and old Woman Is having plenty of large squid. The land based fishing has seen plenty of Bream turning up and the season hasn’t really kicked off. There are a few squid around the rocks of the Mooloolah River and Pt Cartwright headland.
Afternoon report: Offshore the old float line will work a treat to land some bigger fish. Large baits and a few metres off the bottom will earn you a big predator. There are the some very large Spanisgh around this time of the year and the closer reefs have pulled off some crackers. The two reefs that have performed well have been Coolum and Currimundi. A mixed bag reef species and plenty of bait have been reported. Murpheys has had some nice Jew and the odd Kingy while the Gneerings has a good report of squire and Grassies.
Kawana23.jpg
Norm with a great haul. The Spanish was off Noosa and the Snapper was off Moffats.

May 25
I have seen a huge amount of beautiful Flathead being caught around the area with good numbers of pan-size Dusky Flathead being reported caught in the Mooloolaba river over the last week.

May 26
With the tide on the run-in it's worth throwing a bait into one of the many decent gutters along the beach with your chance to catch Dart, Tailor and my favourite the Dusky Flathead of which they have been catching quite a few lately, As for the river i would also be targeting the large number of Flathead that are around at the moment. Try using a 1/8 ounce jig head on a 1H hook with a 2.5inch Watermelon red Zman swimz has always worked well for me.
Kawana22.jpg
Courey with a great catch. I had been hearing the Jew were on the chew in the Maroochy River. Now we have proof.
May 27
North westerlies expected to go south-westerlie latering the day, the bright side is that when there is a westerly blowing fishing from our beaches here on the East coast means you will (in most cases) have the wind at your back making for heaps better casting distance and the ability to float bait under balloons to get your baits out to what would otherwise be unreachable from a land based vantage point. The beach at Kawana looks beautifully protected from the weather that looks like rolling through over the next few days, my favourite bait would have to be either a Baby Blue Pilly on set of 2/0 Gangs for Tailor, Bream, Flathead,Trevally or Jewfish or a little sand/bloodworm on a super sharp GamaKatsu size 4 Worm hook with the promise of Dart,Bream or Whiting.
Reports of good catches of Blue Swimmer crabs in the Kawana canals have reached us along with reports of the odd nice buck Mudcrab so it might very well be worth dropping the pots in this weekend and while your waiting for the crabs to scuttle on into your pots try your luck at a spot of fishing as there have been some lovely flathead and bream taken around the Mooloolaba.

Kawana Bait & Tackle
Shop 5, Buddina Shops, 8 Point Cartwright Dr, Kawana
PH: (07) 5444 5551
http://www.kawanabaitandtackle.com.au