Davo's North Shore
938 David Low Way, Marcoola
Ph: 07 5448 8244
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 2/9/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:24 am

August 31
Morning: The nice deep gutter that I spoke about yesterday has now joined with a smaller gutter over night and now has become larger moving closer towards the Pt Cartwright headland. There are some good holes along the Kawana Beach stretch. The Rivers are still pumping good numbers of Bream, Trevally and Flathead. The best baits for the rivers have been small baby Pillies, Prawns, Mullet gut, and off the beach has been mullet fillets, ganged Large Pillies, baby Pillies and beach worms.
Afternoon: I went out for a couple of hours on Sunday to take my son Riley for a fish and a swim, and flicked soft plastics along the rock wall at the mouth of the Mooloolaba river. It was half tide on the run-in and about 1:30pm in the afternoon i noticed there were millions of Garfish chasing my plastic in every cast and got a couple of good hits that felt like small Flathead but no fish were landed on the way out to the end of the rock wall. When i got to the end of the wall i changed to a shiny 75g slug, and on the third cast hook a mid 30's Tailor which was a lot of fun on light gear and then another one about the same size. My son wanted to go for a swim so we headed for the beach and i continued flicking 1/8oz jigheads with 3" MinnowZ's into the small waves where my plastics got inhaled by 2 big sand Whiting. Fresh caught Garlic and herb Whiting fillets for dinner!
KawanaAug31.jpg

September 1
Morning: There are still a good number of snapper being caught, and from reports you don't have to go too far to catch them with the Caloundra 5 Mile reef producing a few nice fish over night. We also have reports of some nice Yellow-tail Kingfish getting around, Bream Whiting and Flathead are being caught along Kawana Beach and in the lower reaches of the Mooloolah River. I'm hopeful the rain will get the Mud-crabs moving around.
Afternoon: the fishing is certainly good with both river and off-shore reports for the last couple of days showing good catches of Bream, whiting and Flathead in the river along with some nice Tailor being caught along the Beaches and around the Mooloolah river mouth. In off shore reports there have been some nice Snapper caught on Murphy's Reef and the outside of the banks have been producing some true trophy fish, with most anglers meeting their quota if they fish the early morning or late afternoon. Below is a photo of Michael Bray who got this big kingy on a charter with Adventure fishing charters on jumbo pillies from Kawana bait and Tackle. The other photo is of a nice feed of Bream taken by one of our local fishing Legends "Kelly" who caught them at his "spot X".
KawanaSep1.jpg
KawanaSep1_2.jpg

September 2
I have had some good reports this morning of Bream, Tailor, Whiting and Dart in "The Pocket" and along Kawana beach and there is a nice gutter forming a couple of hundred metres further down where i would definitely have a go. The rock wall at the mouth of the Mooloolah river Produced a few Cale Cale overnight and some really nice bream have been taken as well. i had a report of some nice school Jewfish being taken from the end of the Budina side rockwall on live Mullet last weekend so hopefully they are still around when i get out there tomorrow night (might also try Kawana Beach on the top of the tide). There have also been reports of "Millions of Garfish" still coming into the river on the building tide, and one lot of blokes gave me a Good Laugh when they told me that they were "just motoring along hanging a landing net over the side scooping them up as they went by" which i thought was genius!

Kawana Bait & Tackle
Shop 5, Buddina Shops, 8 Point Cartwright Dr, Kawana
PH: (07) 5444 5551
http://www.kawanabaitandtackle.com.au