Davo's North Shore
938 David Low Way, Marcoola
Ph: 07 5448 8244
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 7/10/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:22 pm

October 5
Morning report: Offshore is still producing plenty of snapper, pearlies and tusk fish. The deeper the better with the water clarity. School Mackerel are moving in and there are some good sweetlip caught on the inside reefs. The rivers are popping up with plenty of flathead and whiting and even though the bream season is basically finished there are plenty of 30cm+ being caught around Labalsa Park.
Afternoon report: There have been reports of the odd Tailor along Kawana beach and some good Whiting are still being caught and in the Mooloolah river there have been lots of Bream over 30cm and some terrific Flathead being caught to, There have been reports of some Jacks being caught in the deeper holes on live baits at the top of the tide close to structure, and off-shore i hear there have been a few Cobia boated at 'The Barge". Mackerel are starting show up and although we never saw it i feel we were conected to one breifly yesterday afternoon that took a 30cm Yakka out at "The Hards".
These pics are from a trip to "The Hards" yesterday, We hit the water around 9:30am after dropping my son at school and headed out to Old Women Island(Mudjimba Island) where we collected some live baits with the intention of floating them out around Coolum reef if the wind didn't drop-off. As luck would have it, after the westerlies dropped out around 11am we pointed the bow east and dropped the hammer after the decision to go wide was made. About an hour later we pulled up on the area known as 'The Hards' about 34NM due east of Coolum Reef. After minimal prospecting we found some likely ground and within 10 mins had our first Snapper in the boat. Throughout the afternoon we fished 60-73m of water and boated our quota of Snapper to 70cm and got a few Tuskies and Pearlies along with two BIG unknowns which took large floated live Yakka's but couldn't be stopped.
KawanaOct5_1.jpg
KawanaOct6_1.jpg

October 6
I have had reports today of some nice Cobia beinf taken on Livies on a wreck of a barge off Mooloolaba and a few mackerel sighted by a spearo at the Blinker(once again i reckon livies on a wire trace to be the go here) and the beaches have still been producing the big Whiting we have been seeing around over the last week or two, a couple of nice size trevally have been taken around the Mouth of the Mooloolah river and i saw a pic of a 123cm long-tail that was caught two weeks ago between Old Woman Island and Mooloolaba which was safely released.
These photos are from my trip out wide on Tuesday where we caught most of these fish drifting The Hards in 60-70m of water in the middle of the day of all times. The first photo is of Adam sporting 2 of his lovely Snapper(he caught most of the better fish for the trip).
KawanaOct5_2.jpg
KawanaOct6_2.jpg

October 7
From reports there have been some Cobia hanging around the Wreck off shore and some solid Grassy sweetlip on the Gneerings and Currimundi reef's , but if you the big Snapper and pearlies i recomend heading wide to the Caloundra 76m marks and beyond, also the outer barwon banks and the hards have been showing good fish.

James

Kawana Bait & Tackle
Shop 5, Buddina Shops, 8 Point Cartwright Dr, Kawana
PH: (07) 5444 5551
http://www.kawanabaitandtackle.com.au