Davo's North Shore
938 David Low Way, Marcoola
Ph: 07 5448 8244
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 28/10/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:11 pm

October 25
The warm weather should bring on the Mackerel and I have heard a few roumers that there is a warm current line running near the Blinker which has brought in some Wahoo and Spanish. These fish are still not in any good numbers but the signs are promising for a great season. The snapper and Pearlies are still in good numbers with some crackers caught as well. Parrots and wrasse have been on the agenda recently with the odd coral Trout as well. The Barwon Banks have the best variety with a few bigger fish boated and the inside reefs are pulling in a few good snapper still, Mack Tuna and small king fish. Grassies are hot property at the moment with the majority of the catch definately on them.

October 26
Morning report: The inside reefs are holding some scattered patches of school mackerel with the gneerings and North end of Old Woman Island have a few. The shark nets off Pt Cartwright have been quiet for bait so the best option is to start with some bait and drift around some of your favourite marks and hope to pick up a few slimies. The yakka's are quite large in most schools at the moment but that should be good enough to entice any large preditor out there. Landbased will be worth fishing off top pocket at pt cartwright early in the mornings or find a nice gutter along the beach and enjoy the sunrise. Labalsa Park has the most comfortable spots and is worth fishing with some lightly weighted prawns, small pilchards and whitebait. The variety of fish caught can make your day if it all comes together.
Afternoon report: There have been reports of good numbers of Flathead being taken on plastic and floated pilchards and prawns in the lower reaches of the Mooloolah river today along with reports of the odd nice Mackerel being taken obn ultra slow trolled gar around the Blinker, squid have also been noted on the run-out tide near the mouth of the Moololah river along the rock wall. Tthe new moon is on monday and the weather for the weekend is looking good for getting out for a fish and my best advice is to slow troll a gar around the Blinker at dawn in the hope of it getting smashed by a Big Spainish Mackerel as they are starting to show up in our waters here along the sunshine coast, they are not readily hitting lures but trolled livre baits have been doing the trick in most cases, for this you need chin guards/weights to help your bait swim properly as if it spins you are way less likely to get a strike.

October 27
A report was sent to me this morning of a few big Yellow-tail Kingfish and Mackerel both School and Spainish getting around at the Gneerings and a good number of Grassies being taken on floated pilchards near the bottom. The Mooloolah river has been producing some great Flathead and a mate of mine hooked and lost a big Golden Trevally he hooked on a floated pilchard in the lower reaches of the Moololah river yesterday afternoon.

October 28
I have had reports once again today of a few Mackerel in close and although they are proving a little hard to catch Live-baits and trolled Gar are proving the trick, there have still bbenn reports of a few Grassy Sweetlip on the Gneerings Shoals and the odd Legal Pearl Perch on Murphy's reef, The barge off Caloundra has been producing a few Cobia and the Caloundra 12 mile has been seeing a few as well along with Squire and Pearl Perch, The Hards where i am heading though with a tank full of livies and i will let you all know how i went when i get back to work next week.

Kawana Bait & Tackle
Shop 5, Buddina Shops, 8 Point Cartwright Dr, Kawana
PH: (07) 5444 5551
http://www.kawanabaitandtackle.com.au