Davo's North Shore
938 David Low Way, Marcoola
Ph: 07 5448 8244
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 9/12/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:52 pm

December 5
The rivers are keeping everyone busy with small bream, decent whiting and flathead. Prawns, worms and squid will be the better options for the kids while prawns and worms are the best for the whiting in general. There are plenty of Mangrove Jack in the rivers and canals with plenty of smaller ones caught. This so far has been a great start to the Jack season. There are reports of some good crabs around but I definately didn't expect a good photo to come in. This photo was sent in by Adam. He was super stoked as he picked up a few extra pots and some mullet heads than headed to the local haunt to let them soak.
KawanaDec5.jpg

December 6
There are school mackerel around in decent numbers if you can find the schools. Mack Tuna are patchy but if you find the school it is worth flicking a few lures at them. Sending a burley tral from the anchor line and off the surface has improved catched for most boats who anchor. At the moment this would be my preferred option to fish with bait. The rivers are holding some nice crabs and it should only increase now the weather has warmed up. Mangrove Jack are increasing in numbers but when the sun is intense try hard up in the mangroves, deeper water(trolling) or under bridges. Flathead are improving closer towards christmas as they have been caught in all waterways quite regularly.

December 7
A couple of people have reported mackerel at the 12 mile but thats going to be a bit far to go considering the conditions at the moment but i have heard there have been a few small Spainish mackerel and Schoolies around the Blinker and the Gneerings Shoals,
If off-shore is not in your plans then you could try what i am planning for this weekend which is to set some Crabpots on friday afternoon and sit with them overnight at my favourite little spot while floating a couple of live baits out the back of the boat in hope something might come along, there have been some beautiful Mudcrabs taken out of our waterways here on the coast over the last week and hopefully i can get one this weekend regardless there is no harm in trying is there?

December 8
here have been more solid Mangrove Jacks caught overnight in Currimundi creek and the Mooloolaba river at a couple of spots in Pareara Channel and the Bridges near Bridge seafoods have been amoungst a few known hangouts for these beautiful fish,
in off-shore news there have been reports of fish caught at the Gneerings shoals and Murphy's reef of Amberjack and Spainish Mackerel on deep diving lures and also some mixed reef speices on pilchards.
The mudcrabs should be out and about this weekend with after reports of a few being taken in the last week this rain should be exactly what we need to really get them moving.
We have some exciting news from off-shore this morning with Chris sending an exciting report in this morning of some great action he had early this morning while towing Savage Gear 7 metre deep divers around the Gneerings Shoals, Chris reports that there was heaps of bait balling up on his sounder and he landed multiple fish in quick sucsession including Spainish Mackerel at what i make out to be about 77cm so just 2cm over the legal size and also remember the fish carry a maximum bag limit of 3 per person. i am very excited about this mackerel season and looks like it might be just around the corner.
KawanaDec8.jpg

December 9
It's been a mostly overcast day here on the coast today with the odd shower here and there and the chance of a thunderstorm tonight with tomorrow looking windy with 20-25 knot SE winds so i will be staying in the river and running the crab pots and trying for some Jack and Flathead and maybe have some fun with a Bullshark or two.
there has been mulitple reports of a 32kg Spainish Mackerel taken on the gneerings shoal by a guy by the name of Geoff and a couple of reports of Mackerel being taken at Coolum reef as well.
Wednesday is the Full Moon and it looks as thought the weather should be reasonable by then so i think there should be a few people heading off-shore to have a go at the Mackerel.
Get a load of this Amberjack that was caught yesterday morning by local fisherman Chris who hooked this beast,two other Amberjack and Spainish Mackerel on the Gneerings Shoals while trolling deep-diving Hardbodies,this fish measured 97cm and approximately(my guess only) 9-10kg and must have pulled like two trucks for the angler who said it pulled 80m of line on it's first run under 5kg of drag on 30LB line.
KawanaDec9.jpg

Kawana Bait & Tackle
Shop 5, Buddina Shops, 8 Point Cartwright Dr, Kawana
PH: (07) 5444 5551
http://www.kawanabaitandtackle.com.au