10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 28 Mar 14

Post by Brad » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Last Saturday and Sunday turned out just the way old fisherman like it calm as calm can be..to those who chase long tail tuna and like me sometimes cast 500 times before a hook up Saturday was the opposite I hooked three in 3 casts. This has never happened before and to top it of at the black marker opposite the halo light at the Lazzarete the broad band mackerel were thick and in the middle of them were Spaniards hard to believe that far in the bay have caught them before but not that far in the bay. At the Lazzarete the squire were good till the pod of dolphins arrived and a nice couple of tiger squid at least showed up to top off a great couple of days, I think the broads and the spaniards will be there for a couple of weeks as there are lots of bonito in the area.
Good fishing Spero
Attachments
IMG_0103_1107.jpg
IMG_0102_1106.jpg
IMG_0099_1103.jpg
IMG_0105_1101.jpg

flynny

Re: Weekly Report 28 Mar 14

Post by flynny » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:29 am

Awesome fish mate, what tide and time on the day did you get them.
cheers flynny

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:22 pm

hi flynni it was outgoing which should be perfect for today and sunday..hope you get on some also i was told there are a few mackerel around the hanlon light ..i was also informed that the spotties are on the bottom of the beacons in the shipping channels,,catching them on pillies..
good fishing spero

flynny

Post by flynny » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:57 pm

hi sperok...
no good fished a few spots around the lazzerret first time i have ever fished there. to many boats coming in and scaring fish away. when the tide changed, it was a grinner s galore, big ones to.
alot of dolphins around aswell. guess i gotta persevere

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:29 pm

hi mate if you are trolling and getting grinters you are fishing to shallow or youre paravains are too far back.if you are fishing with pillies keep them about 10 feet from the bottom the grinters dont seem to want to come up that far ,dont hold me at 10 just keep them of the bottom high enough where the grinters dont get youre baits...i find the mackerel around the 25 to 35 foot mark..keep trying they are there.good fishing spero

flynny

Post by flynny » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:10 pm

Hi sperok

I dont troll, not really set up for that yet. however i was using some whiting between 8.5m- 7m mark around the front of the lazzrette. just on a small running sinker and a light leader. i was hoping for some snapper and mackerel, the sounder was showing lumps and bumps around the bottom, however no takers at all fishing at anchor. will this method catch me a feed or should i change it up somehow. thinking of giving it a go on friday, hopefully not as busy
cheers mate

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:31 pm

hi flynny
you need to go into the lazzarete a little about 100 to 200 ft between the hanlon and the first green and anchor up in 21 to 22 ft of water .i have caught most of my fish with the outgoung tide and and between 3pm and dusk ..i use whiting heads and berly with the frames 5|0 big red hook with a pee size sinker on the hook..for the mackerel i would fish about 100 yards infront of the hanlon and you would be be better to drift with pillies...hope that helps a little..i will be out there on thursday friday ..good fishing spero
you can email me on sperok@ozemail.com.au saves filling the fishing monthly site if you want....

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:12 pm

just got back from 2 days out and we caught everything we went for the broad mackerel are just left of the hanlon light looking north and in about 26 to 30 feet of water and they are also at the first green opposite the lazzarete in the same depth we got them paravaining this morning and yesterday afternoon with a outgoing tide..the whiting were not thick at the small ship channel but great quality and we also managed a monster tiger squid..the sqire were on early in the afternnon at the lazzarete but we had our friends the dolphins and a few sharks around to dampen things a little still managed 7 nice fish one about 65 cm...so good luck on the week end looks like a nice saturday.good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:37 pm

hi all being out last couple of days and plenty of fish around,some nice broad and schoolies at the green opposite the lazzarete and some nice whiting in the small ships channel but not on the pelican bank side but on the opposite side against the sand bar .there was also schoolies chasing our whiting and one even hit a toad fish (never seen that before) the tiger squid are the biggest i have seen in the bay for many manny years ,and they taste great,there are quite a few on the green at the start of the small boat channel just drifting over the dark weed banks ,in about 8 to 10 ft of water ,i have found the orange and tiger pattern 3.0 grams squid jigs the best hung about 5 ft under a float,so next time the weather is ok we will be out again.good fishing spero