10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 23/4/18

Post by Nicole Penfold » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:19 am

Maybe summer has finally gone and we might start seeing some really settled weather by the end of the week because at the moment its all over the place. Last weekend the 10 to 15 turned into 15 to 20 and i have to say there us a big difference between the two weather sites. Anyway all you can do is look for yourself and feel bad for anglers not living close to the bay and travel all the way to find its blowing.

On the fishing front, the school mackerel are getting better and better. It's true that you can catch them in the bay all year round, but over the past month or so the catches have been more consistent than usual; I don't think there has been a week that I have not caught one on the troll.

With the cooler weather they really should improve even more. Over the last 4 days i did a tour of the area where they should be, and they are everywhere, and readers are reporting good catches too. I caught some on the way past the hyubers (quite close) and close to the drop off before the hope banks and on both side of the banks, depending which side is the lee side. i went to the entrance to the small boat channel and trolled to the first green towards peel and a couple more were hooked, and then the second green towards peel with the same result. All the spots were holding schoolies.

Tried a few different spoon colours this week, and also the halco with gold on top. It worked as well as the chrome, and actually caught a big spotty. i also tried the smith jig (white) and managed two schoolies and
4 bonito. Also tried the orange diving board which is good to use with lighter line and rod as its light and does not drag as much. It too worked very well on 15lb line. There is no excuse for not getting a fresh mackerel for dinner if you can get out there.

the squid are in the bay in very big numbers and in all our favourite spots, from close at green to all the rous and small boat weedbanks. I am going to try a new jig that was used many years ago that my dad used to
make, which was white plain cloth wrapped around a cheap metal jig. I will let you know how it goes.

IMG_1419.JPG

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 23/4/18

Post by sperok » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:37 am

Lots of schoolies just before the trench towards the hope banks .but much deeper then normal let the diving hoards much further back .lots of whiting at deeper water at amity banks.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:54 pm

Gee what a day on the water on such a special day for all our diggers.lots of boat ventured out it was like a long week end but it did not stop the fish comming on board the boat,the schoolies as mentioned were in very good numbers in the morning just before the hope bank trench on the western side and the whiting were in great numbers in the deeper water at the amity banks.plenty of squid at the small boat channel and on the way back had a fish with the incomming tide at green and plenty of squid there as well ,picked up 4 and saw another 8 swimming in a pack..
recieved another lovely email from brendon and the boys archie and cooper which looks like to me they are becomming fisherman ,its great to see.
brendon fished green island this morning and when the photos get put in a great catch of squid sweetlip and a few trevally,(i was a little upset when brendon told me he used the squid heads for bait as its my favourite part to eat} never mind ..nice sweetlip..
Attachments
IMG_1422.jpg
IMG_1421.jpg
20180425_133827.jpg
20180425_133609.jpg
20180425_122506.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:33 pm

Great day out yesterday with the ladies my wife martha joined nicole from fishing monthly for a day out to take some photos of squire in the bay,tides not what i wanted but it was such a nice day we went out anyway,picked up a nice schoolie on the way out to green island and half a dozen squid on the corner of green more towards the east side in 3 to 5 ft of water with the outgoing tide ,happy faces on the girls seeing the squid ,(no ink shots..PITY) anyway we anchored up and managed a couple of good runs in the 2nd hour of the outgoing tide and one around the 37 cm mark ,and then we hooked a monster flathead around 70 cm ,have caught a few flathead over the years on the eastern side of green but never this size,cooked some fresh salt and pepper squid with garlic and it was happy days..on the bay half an hour from home and a day to dream of dead calm..and warm.
Attachments
IMGL1470 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20180426_092934.jpg
IMG_20180426_085845.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue May 01, 2018 3:52 pm

AS you all know i don't recommend much stuff and have my favourite tackle store very close to where i live ,but as you do on windy days i look at rods and reels that i use all the time to see if i can find a silly deal somewhere and i have to pass this on as it is a supper deal.
penn spinfisher live liner 4500 for 111.00 dollars ,that is crazy cheap. i use these reels all the time and had to buy a couple spares
found on ebay..

Chu

Post by Chu » Wed May 02, 2018 12:42 pm

Woke up this morning just before sunrise and was surprised at the near windless condition. So I quickly loaded up the boat and headed to my usual spot around Scarborough reef. The clouds look threatening from the south, but I decided to stay on as it was a quick 5 minutes dash to safe waters if the heavens open up. I was rewarded with the sound of my reel screaming about 15 minutes after I anchored and up came a 57cm snapper. However, fighting the snapper may have spooked the rest as it was quiet for about an hour after that. Luckily a 35cm bream decided to break the lull. As I was unhooking it, the reel on my other rod screamed. The tug on the rod indicated it was an even larger snapper. The hazard of fishing the reef is depending on where the fish swims, there is a good chance of the line being cut by the reef. As it seem that the initial run was quite long, I decided to tighten up the drag and hope for the best. I was so happy when I final managed to see some colour and finally landing a 63 cm snapper.

After another hour of undersize squires and breams, my stomach told me to head back for breakfast! What a wonderful morning.. :D

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed May 02, 2018 3:31 pm

Nice day on the bay a little windy once it went around more to the east south east but the tide was right so had to see if the snapper are there,on the way out managed couple of nice schoolies and a few bonnito but the dolphins won the battle taking 3 nice schoolies of the lines and about 4 bonnito ,so it was time to look for the snapper session,water was nearly clean trawler working close in did not help with water clarity and first time i did not see a single squid,anchored up for snapper and after a few nice runs picked up one around the 67 cm mark and another around the 38 cm got a little more choppy so home for some fresh fish for dinner.
Attachments
IMG_1431.jpg
IMG_1428.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu May 03, 2018 5:30 pm

Another absolute glorious day on the bay ,plenty of mackerel on the morning changeover tide,some nice squire at green and the squid are at green but very timid i had around 9 come close but only two took the squid jig.but it was dead calm the bay was like glass,also plenty of schoolies and a couple of big spottys at sharkspit this morning as well.
The whiting are not thick in the rous but you can get a feed.
Attachments
IMG_1446.jpg
IMG_1445.jpg
IMG_1444.jpg
IMG_1436.jpg
IMG_1435.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri May 04, 2018 3:18 pm

Had another wonderful day on the bay whiting master stayed home but nic and i went out and we had some fun ,caught 4 really big schoolies anchored up east of hyubers on pillies and a few squid at green followed by a quick session at green but wind against tide just did not work but managed a 40 plus sweetlip a really good day..
Attachments
IMG_1452.jpg
IMG_1449.jpg

stanau

Post by stanau » Wed May 09, 2018 11:15 am

Had a good season prawning still some around Karragarra but season is just about over. All geared up to go fishing the fabulous Moreton Bay for whiting macks and squid .Keep up them reports look forward to them and thanks.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed May 09, 2018 5:48 pm

Nice day plenty of big schoolies but the damn dolphins were really a pain in the butt,,managed 3 in the boat and the dolphins got 5.
stopped on way home and plenty of squid at green.and a dead calm day was fantastic.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu May 10, 2018 3:49 pm

Another dead calm day ,squire fishing was a little slow did not wake up in time for the start of the outgoing never mind couple of nice sweetlip ,the schoo;ies were on at the area before the trench towards the hope banks but the dolphins are becoming a pain,but it was still fun,the 8 mt area wide of king and green has plenty of arrow squid and cuttlefish ,need to put a sinker on the jig and have it just of the bottom ,and remmeber the cuttlefish ink is 10 times worse then squid ink.
the tiger squid are thick at green island all along the eastern side,you can have a hundred casts for nothing and then they are upon you,today the small ones were in the shallows and the big ones in the deeper water,lots of fun seeing them when they are so aggressive had 5 around the boat chasing the same jig.
Attachments
IMG_1459.jpg
IMG_1457.jpg
IMG_1456.jpg
IMG_1455.jpg