Water Tower Bait & Tackle
10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
stanau

Re: Report 14/5/18

Post by stanau » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:58 am

Hi yes 2mt at low tide what about high tide . Do you add 2mt on top of high tide height

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:47 pm

thats not what i was told ,i asked the question and was told 2mt at low tide,if its a two meter low tide mark how could you possible police it by everyone adding a certain ammount as the tide rises ,you would have to have an a computer on board to keep changing the height as the tide rolls in constantly and you could not police it at high or low water only..if anyone else would like to ring for information and to understand and maybe i did not the the person i was told by fisheries to ask was emma hutton 31012067 she is the marine park department .and if we need to have a back and forward discussion you can contact me on sperok@ozemail.com.au ..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:58 pm

ok this is the best info we have been able to find and its what i understood from marine parks and wildlife..hope its now all clear to all.
https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/moret ... h_contours

Depth contours
In a 2m depth contour you must have at least 2m of water under the vessel at low tide and in a 5m depth you must have at least 5m of water under your vessel at low tide.

hopefully this is the end of all our problems and where we can and cant fish.as i know we are all trying to do the right thing..good fishing

Laney

Post by Laney » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:57 pm

Depth contour:
A depth contour links adjacent points on the sea floor that are at the same depth, in the same way contours are used on topographic maps to show land of the same height. The depth contour is taken at low tide. For example, a 2m depth contour links points that are 2m deep at low tide.

To determine the depth of water you need to be in at the 2m depth contour at any particular time, you need to make allowances for the tide—determine how much extra water there is on top of the 2m depth contour, remembering this is measured at low tide.

This is the pasted relevant section from the Moreton Bat Marine Park Guide.

I have added the markups....

Given the tide is dynamic it would come down to the practical application of the line. Unless you were Obviously infringing by a significant margin, you should be left alone. Just be a little conservative.

Laney

Post by Laney » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:36 pm

Depth contour:
A depth contour links adjacent points on the sea floor that are at the same depth, in the same way contours are used on topographic maps to show land of the same height. The depth contour is taken at low tide. For example, a 2m depth contour links points that are 2m deep at low tide.

To determine the depth of water you need to be in at the 2m depth contour at any particular time, you need to make allowances for the tidedetermine how much extra water there is on top of the 2m depth contour, remembering this is measured at low tide.

The above is a cut and paste from the MBMP guide. Markups are mine.

Low tide = 0

Tide being dynamic, altering without relent, one needs to apply some form of factor.

So, as long as one does not blatantly flout the regulation and make it apparent that a disregard for boundary is a sport. The law should leave you alone.

As amateurs, we are expected to be conservative as it is a recreational hobby. Those that chase return tend to push boundaries.

Hope the above helps.

stanau

Post by stanau » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi Thanks Laney Low tide 0mt so at a low tide of .9mt the contour line will be 2.9mt and if the high tide is 2,2mt the contour line will be 5.1mt Thanks again stanau

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:53 pm

BWClark wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:39 pm
Hi Sperok. Came across this forum recently and I must say I enjoy your regular reports which were both entertaining and informative. Keep up the good work. I personally try to get out as much as I can but life normally gets in the way but I do manage to sneak in a few hours every now and then. I have some success trolling and spinning for macks but have never caught one on bait (possibly because I never tried). When you send a pillie out on a float, what's the length of leader below the float? Do you keep the bait drifting along naturally or do you lock up the reel once you're happy with the distance behind the boat at anchor? Cheers Ben.
hi ben i cant find if i replied so i thought i better in case i did not..only 2 or 3 ft if fishing in the shallows like 8 to 12 ft depth if in deeper water for eg 18 to 30 ft i have it 15 to 20 ft down if its a dfast running tide and the pilly does not get to the bottom where the small fish and grinners strip it off in a few seconds then no float is ok as well..and yes i lock the reel in with enough to peel line without breaking..cheers spero