Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 18/5/18

Post by Nicole Penfold » Mon May 21, 2018 9:42 am

Estuary: This coming weekend is looking fantastic for fishing. We have had some very unsettled weather for the majority of the last week, for most this has put to bed any plans of fishing in the estuary! Over the past couple of days though the weather has improved and people have begun to sneak out for a look. Bream are in huge numbers throughout the lower section of the system with some beautiful, big, ocean run fish lining the break walls. These fish are easily accessible and will take any well-presented bait or soft plastic. I have been targeting them on the start of the run-in tide, just as the water begins to clear using 2” Keitech Easy Shiner soft plastics rigged on a 1/20oz #2 jig head. Although I have only had enough time for short 20min sessions, I have still managed 5 or 6 30-40cm fish each trip, I even managed a little Giant Trevally today (Friday) of about 50cm but it made short work of 4lb line haha.. The Flathead die-hards are still getting a few nice fish on soft plastics and soft vibes. Luderick are definitely about but have been a little patchy of late, some anglers have had fantastic little sessions, others have only managed to find a few small fish.

Beach and Rock: Even with the bit of unsettled weather we have endured for much of the week, the beach fishing has been fairly steady. Not all spots have been fishable with southern corners of beaches being the pick. Tailor and Bream have made up most catches with the odd Flathead in between. I haven’t received any reports of any Mulloway being caught, most of the beaches that have been fishing good for these Silver Ghosts have been too rough to fish successfully. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few days as conditions are looking very good! The local rock platforms were still accessible and safe to fish from throughout most of the rough seas that we had earlier in the week. While live bait has been hard to gather, those that have managed to get a few Slimy Mackerel or Yellowtail have been catching plenty of Mack Tuna and Longtail Tuna. I didn’t receive any reports of Cobia being caught but I would say they will still be hanging about as well.

Offshore: With such an unsettled start to the week it has only been over the past two days that boats have been able to get offshore to have a proper look. So far results have been very good and should only get better as more boats take advantage of this beautiful weather over the coming weekend. Snapper seem to have re-settled in the shallow water now that the sea has eased, Shane from Forster Sport and Game Fishing had a very productive morning today (Friday), pulling more than a dozen good fish (to 5kg) out of some very skinny water. Out wider Teraglin, Snapper and Pearl Perch are all about in pretty good numbers with bag limits of Trag being reached in short time by those fishing before sunrise or into the evening. For those that are looking to have their arms stretched there have been reasonable numbers of 15+kg Kingfish hanging about the deeper inshore reefs, the bite is only short (normally associated with a tide change) but the numbers are good.
Have a great weekend, enjoy this beautiful weather!

Luke Austin.
Great Lakes Tackle – Tuncurry
Ph: 02 6554 9541
2013, 2014 and 2015 AFTA Finalists - Australia’s Best Bait & Tackle Store