10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 22/6/18

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:08 am

A month of winter has nearly already fishing and the fishing has been fantastic, the school mackerel season is getting better with the cold weather but are moving all over the bay with the big tides,the small boat channel and the Rous has been producing plenty of fish whether you are trolling in the deeper channels or floating out pillies while drifting or anchored up,and i have to say catching them on floating pillies in 8 ft depth and seeing them come so close to the back of the boat is lots of fun,especially when you see the flash as you are bringing up a whiting,we ran out of pillies one day last week and caught plenty on whiting fillets on ganged hooks as well.

The deeper water coming out from Hyubers seems to be hit and miss we got two doubles and then not another hit for half an hour and trolling on the south eastern side of the hope banks was the same hit and miss,the area that is having some fish is the basin on the northern side of peel island towards amity banks.

The whiting have been in good numbers and quality on all the deeper drop offs around the sand banks in the bay and some nice fish at Fishermans
Gutter, also the blue hole at Moreton has some really nice whiting.

The arrow squid and cuttlefish are in the deeper water on the eastern side of the close in bay islands and the tigers are in the shallows around green and all thru the small boat channel and the Rous around all the weed banks.

The squire fishing has been very good around the eastern side of the bay islands, so there are plenty to catch once these winds ease a little. The only downside is that the mornings are a bit chilly, but I suppose the warmer weather is not too far away.

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 22/6/18

Post by sperok » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:56 pm

Finally the weather was a little better and good news: the arrow squid and cuttlefish still there in 25 to 28 ft depth on the eastern side of green island. My wonderful surgeon dr michael who took my stomach a few years back to make me nearly half my normal weight (I lost 60 kilos), finally bought himself a boat and out he went today at crack of dawn. I did tell him the fish in moreton bay feed during business hours, but anyway he finally went to the rous and cleaned up with 10 big schoolies. The kids loved it and dad is over the moon. I hope he doesn't cancel too many appointments in the future when the schoolies are on! Looks like a great weekend for a fish, and the run out tides look great for a squire fish as long as the northerlies dont kick in.

Here's a photo of Dr Michael's great catch. Be careful doc -- you surgeons need to keep your fingers!

39.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:21 pm

very slow today on the school mackerel we had spoons out all day and only heard of one getting caught in the rous.the squire were good this morning at green before the damn south wester kicked in and it was terrible the cuttlefish were OK 26 ft mark east of green island and the whiting were good in the small boat channel my wife managed 30 on her own.turned out like glass and had good fun with a lovely sunset and a couple of good squire at the lazaret with the last of the outgoing tide...let's hope Sunday is a nice day as well .
912_IMG_20180630_152644.jpg
541_IMG_20180630_091317.jpg
341_IMG_20180630_171530.jpg
212_IMG_20180630_075034.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:51 pm

It ended up being one of the best long weekends on the bay a little cloudy but dead calm most of the time the overnight and i spent 3 out there were like a milk pond as were most of the days.mackerel started to become harder to find as the days progressed great on thursday ok on friday very few on sat and none on sunday in the rous but there were some in the rainbow channel on sat and sunday and i would suggest the last 4 reds in the rous might also be a spot to try in the coming weeks as maye over to moreton at the sandhills and sharkspit.
The good news the squire are in excellent numbers around the bay islands green and peel and mud and st helena all produced nice siaze squire.
The whiting were very funny this week hardly a touch on the incoming tide but as the tide turned for outgoing it was like the lunch bell went off they were thick and great quality, a can of catfood if you are anchoring up for them helps a little.
The cuttlefish are in 25 to 28 ft east of green and the arrow squid in 30 to 32 ft and plenty there we stopped on the way home and ut was catch and release there were so many there.
so great days on the bay lets hope the winds dont blow for to long so we can get out there again.
IMG_1526.JPG
IMG_1501.JPG

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:20 am

The last couple of days was not too much fun if you wanted to fish in the exposed parts ,very nice out of the wind and protected spots especially with the school holidays looked pretty busy at horshoe bay.
The arrow squid were again in great numbers in the deeper water of the bay islands and wellington point with plenty of cuttlefish mixed in as well.and the squire are there if you can get to fish with the wind against the tide.looks like a bit of a blow for a few days and the cold weather is returning so rug up and lets wait for the winds to drop.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:11 pm

Not a great start to the day especially if you had plans to go over to strabroke or moreton it pelted down ,only a few showers on the western side of the bay bit not very nice till the sun came out and the wind eased back a little.thought i would go and catch some arrow squid and cuttlefish and they were thick and some nice big cuttlefish and very long arrows ,wide of green in 28 to 32 ft just of the bottom.
looks like a nice weekend so might have to look for some schoolies and whiting.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:36 pm

Plenty of whiting in the small boat passage but better with outgoing tide.the school mackerel were in the front of the lazaret towards amity banks side .plenty on spoons and plenty on pilchards anchored up just of the bottom.the squire were not great at peel but managed a couplevof nice fish..pretty cold overnight.and not much better tonight..but looks like a nice Sunday.

811_IMG_20180712_120848.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:45 am

Schoolies thick in the basin to the east of the lazaret.

IMG_20180714_142706.jpg
IMG_1535.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:30 pm

In 40 years I have never seen that many school mackerel feeding do close to the surface .even taking slugs.pity they don't school up the bait like spottys.but it was amazing it was hood to see some many readers out there getting there fish with boards and spoons and slugs and even pliies ..great day ..in the basin lazaret to amity banks.if you get out there next few days enjoy but be careful there will he Lord of boats chasing..have fun

IMG_1541.jpg
519_IMG_20180713_133505.jpg
449_IMG_20180714_090455.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:10 pm

Wow what great fishing for school mackerel since last friday ,and today was a great sight with 20 boats from tinnies to old bay cruisers to beautiful fishing rigs all catching schoolies and not a word of anger with lots of fun and games cutting thru boats going left right an center.it was really good to see.lots of readers came up to say hi and lots of diving boards and spoons ending up on the bottom of the ocean,i think a few sharks were taking the diving boards and a bit of shallow trolling also helped so watertower bait and tackle will be visited this week i would think.good to see the pros getting into plenty of fish ,as there were plenty for them and us amateurs getting some as well.
my friend doc russell had lots of fun and we managed a few nice tailor up in the shallows.
we stopped wide of green and pulled up a few nice cuttlefish and some nice arrows..great day on the bay.

595.jpg
260.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:56 am

the mackerel slowed down at the end of the week with some not getting any ,as with the spoties in summer they do seem to feed and then stop for a few days what was interesting while we were catching them in unbelievable numbers in the basin at peel they were also thick at the rous so it seems they were everywhere early in the week i think next week they will be on again...i hope..

just on a personal note ,i am selling a collection of my beautiful old fishing rods some gary howard,KCS and others as it seems my collection has got a little out of hand,they are in mint condition and they are at watertower bait and tackle for sale.very well priced...

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:39 pm

Nice day on monday but gee it was freezing ,did not get out to early and whiting master and arline bill wanted whiting,we did troll thru to the rous but did not get a touch but there were a few big schoolies caught on sunday in the rous channel deeper gutters.
The whiting were like hens teeth this morning and 9 fish in an hour was not looking good as they are on the chew with the outgoing tide but not today but as soon as the wind dropped and the tide started to run in there were plenty of big whiting for all the boys managed 60 between them so fun was had by all.
the boys scailed on the way back to the cuttlefish and arrow squid area and i filleted when we got there 5 cuttlefish and four large arrows was lots of fun even getting inked did not matter much ..so good day on the bay.

IMG_20180724_122705.jpg
IMG_20180724_104521.jpg
IMG_20180724_103145.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:37 am

plenty of whiting (quite large) in the deeper water where the rous meets the small boat channel and plenty of cuttlefish and arrow squid east of green 30 ft depth last few days,peeled prawns was the bait of choice for the whiting the last few days,weather seems on and off next few days and school mackerel seemed to have gone very quiet with these small tides ,will be over to peel hiding from the northerly this arvo and have a troll for schoolies on the way will let you know if i find any..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:30 pm

Well what a wonderful 3 days on the bay and before we get into fishing i have say what a fantastic job BOM moreton bay reports has done in the last week they were spot on everyday and the prediction were 100% correct ,please keep it up ..it was easier to sleep at night..
friday night was unbelievable the way they got the 20knots comming thru in the evening from the north ,thank you.
Fishing was excellent depending what you were chasing the school mackerel have taken a holiday in the last 4 to 5 days without many fish beeing caught at all the normal haunts pretty sure its the tides should be better this comming week.
the whiting are hit and miss but they are there much better with plenty of tide run and peeled prawns are working better then even blood worms at the momment ,plenty on the marrom side banks in the small boat channel where it meets the rous plenty at the amity banks in around 9 to 11 ft depth mark and plenty in the 15 ft dropps at the sandhills ,the quality at the sandhills is not as good as the banks,and another area they were thick was horeshoe bay in 8ft depth at low tide plenty caught on the drift friday afternoon,
squire and snapper have also slowed like the school mackerel this comming week will start getting better with the tides and a bit of southerly winds .
a few bonnito were arond today around the navel reserve banks and lots of bait.
cuttlefish and arrow squid in numbers in the 30 ft mark east of green and we picked up some nice tiger squid at the amity banks.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:36 pm

We did not have to wait long for the schoolies to go hungry again and they were in the rous and small boat channel this morning as well i also got reports they were in the basin in front of the lazaret early in the morning as well.
the whiting are not in great numbers but the quality is fantastic in the rous and small boat channel but they are much better with a good run in the tide.and the cuttlefish are thick in the 28 ft to 32 ft mark east of green we decided on catch and release today but the little buggers did not and would not let go of the jigs ,we dropped one in from a great height and he came back to grab the jig ..a few arrows as well..happy days and the weather does not look bad either..good fishing
couple of good mates had a great time today plenty of fish to take home.

IMG_1549.JPG
IMG_1554.JPG
IMG_20180731_091232.jpg
IMG_20180731_124723.jpg