Benalla Bait & Tackle
191 Bridge St
Benalla, Victoria
Ph: 03 5762 3704
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 29/8/18

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Ahhhh springs finally a stone throws away! With this brings the close of the cod season (excluding Eildon, copeton and now blowering) and the start of the trout season in the streams in vic!

Stream flows are looking great, and will be topped up Friday with a forecast of 5-15mm of rain. The likes of the king will be pumping if we were to get the forecasted rain as the lake is currently over 100%. Most others should fish well. If the water is discoloured don’t be afraid to drift down a scrub worm, both cheap and effective.

I’m sorry that I haven’t been reporting for a while, mostly due to anglers reporting things I state in previous reports and the fact that the fishing across the board for most anglers has been poor.

Eildon has been the most popular location for anglers this last month. Most anglers are targeting trout. Tassie devils in green/gold, white/orange and pink/purple have been good. A lot of good fish have also been caught trolling daiwa double clutches, bullet lures and rapalas. The anglers I have been talking to haven’t chased natives besides a yella or 2 on worms amongst the trees while chasing Redfin. The cod fishing will improve a lot over the next month and expect to see a few big girls landed. The Redfin have been patchy and a random bigger one has been caught trolling tassies and minnows on leadcore in under 30ft of water.

Nillahcootie has been quiet as usual for this time of year. A couple of yellas have been caught in the trees on worms. Carp are being caught off the bank. Mark greenhalgh has been the only exception as he landed a meter cod around a month ago out of his kayak trolling a hardbody.

Waranga was good a month ago but had now risen and has become quiet with only a couple of fish over 35cm being landed predominantly on bait.

Hume has also been quiet the last few weeks but we all know that the lake pumps in spring and we start seeing those big browns the lake is famous for. Can only be a few weeks away until we start seeing some consistent Redfin fishing and a few yellas.

I have personally been fishing lake William Hovell as every chance I get to go it’s always 20+ km winds so I retreat up there. The last 2 trips have yielded 2 redfin going 40 and 44cm fishing 35-50ft using blades. A few smaller Redfin get caught in between. We troll for trout in the morning but have only caught one on leadcore using a double jointed rapala.

Mulwala has been hit and miss for the local anglers, with most fish being caught on bait from majors upstream. Anglers trolling continually report getting hits and taps but next to no hook ups. Still the best place to go and wrestle with a late season cod.

Hopefully we continue to see these sunny, windless days! If so we should see some vast improvements in the fishing around the region.

Father's Day Specials: 20% off all Rods & Combos, 15% off tackle boxes, 15% off all clothing -- this Thursday, Friday and Saturday

Benalla Bait & Tackle
191 Bridge St
Benalla, Victoria
Ph: (03) 5762 3704

Benalla.jpg