10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 12/9/18

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:20 pm

Spring arrived the weather has settled and the fish are biting as well as ever. The school mackerel season can't really get any better, I don't think we have had a day of not getting a feed. They are moving around a little, but if you follow the areas where we are mentioning and put in a little time you will take a fresh fish home.

The whiting are really thick at the moment, with fish from the start of the small boat passage all the way thru the Rous. The arrow squid are also showing up in the area, and there's good whiting at Amity Banks as well. The squire fishing was good last week, but this week the wind against the outgoing tide did not let me have a fish. So we will wait until next week.

My two friends had a ball today, with plenty of whiting and mackerel, and the Whiting Master made the best meatloaf ever for lunch. Lots of fun.

IMG_20180912_114345.jpg
IMG_20180912_105650.jpg
IMG_20180912_082032.jpg
IMG_20180912_103354.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 12/9/18

Post by sperok » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:49 pm

Some really nice weather at the moment and the school mackerel season is as good as ever,they were close in again this morning but with a trawler working close went further out east of the hyubers and there were plenty of fish as the tide started to come in the fish were on the bite.

i decided to anchor and put some pillies out with plenty of weight to just be off the bottom and got smashed for the next few hours. they fight lots harder on the line rather then trolling ,but both ways are lots of fun.

decided to give green island southern tip a go for tiger squid for half an hour being the last of the incoming tide and a north easterly a good drift and not to scared to get stuck on the bottom ,they were in 3 and a half feet depth managed two and called it a day.
another couple of days of good weather.

IMG_20180913_120159.jpg

IMG_20180913_094401.jpg

IMG_20180913_083500.jpg

IMG_20180913_055751.jpg

Dandan

Post by Dandan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:16 am

Hey guys starting fishing for the first time on boat solo tomorrow out in the Moreton region going to be trying up around Scarborough reef Redcliffe area any advice or hows the fishing up in the area? I have a 3.7 tinny and looking for whiting mainly but will be happy with anything

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:19 pm

Last few days weather was ok ,breeze picked up fairly strong in the afternoon but morning were fantastic,friday was a much slowere day for the schoolies decided on pi;;y fish for them just east of the hyubers and got smashed with 3 fish landed two and then nothing ,a few small tailor of the bottom but interesting a fellow reader of the column picked up 6 nice fish south where the net boat has been at,so its obvious with the big tides they have been pushed further into the bay,pretty sure smaller tides this week will see them back in there usual spots ,rous channel will be good with an outgoing tide and the basin will be good with an incomming tide..(i hope)
Cuttlefish and arrow squid slowed up and i am pretty sure the trawler working for the last few days without stopping has cleaned up the bottom and the water colour went very brown.,the good news is caught a few nice big tigers in the shallows at green and also in the weedbanks on the morrom side of the small boat channel heading up to the rous.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:58 pm

great day on the bay glassed out early morning and a easterly up after lunch. the school mackerel were in close picked up a couple on the way out to see if i could get a couple of reef fish at green and they were there after lunch as well with the incoming tide.
the squire and sweetlip were not thick with the last of the outgoing managed two really nice fish and released about four just on size but dropped a horse of a snapper right on slack tide could not get the net under him and managed to knock the hook out 10 to 12 lb fish. never mind. managed a nice feed.
the tiger squid were not charging at the jigs but when you got onto them they were in good numbers managed three nice ones in a few drifts on the tip of the southern side of green about 5 ft depth.

IMG_20180918_131714.jpg
IMG_20180918_101403.jpg
IMG_20180918_072629.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:42 pm

Lots of good very large schoolies today east of hyubers and south .and a few at the basin in front of lazaret.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:54 pm

Well the school holidays started lots of boats out on the water since friday ,we joined the crowds and stayed out for a few days,the fishing was very good the school mackerel keep on keeping on and the whiting and tigers are showing up from the start of the small boat channel all the way thru the rous channel and plenty of fish to be caught,they do prefer the better running tides so if you are fishing an area and its slow wait for the tide to start moving.
i am finding peeled prawns and squid strips are working as well if not better then worms at the momment i dont know why ,still catching plenty on worms but the others seem to be catching the bigger and more fish.
the lazaret was a waste of time as the tides were all wrong for me but when i did manage to put a line in i missed for very large runs and could not understand why till i caught one and it was a horrible very very big cat fish..slimy critters cant stand them.
One thing i have to say its wonderful to get some great shots of mates out having a fish i know i treasure the days my best mates come out with me so if you have any great shots of you and your mates on a day out fishing please send them to me.sperok@ozemail.com.au
and with the school holidays upon us the whales with their calfs have come in very close a kilomter east of wellington and greenand st helena so get the kids out there to see them we saw some reallu good action today with them breaching and tail splashing everywhere.

IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_20180922.jpg
IMG_20180919.jpg
JJ and the Whiting Master (Ron).

IMG_2726.jpg
Peter and Terry.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:11 pm

Day did not start to well ,no mackerel on the way out and no whales,so after 2 hours of looking my grandson wanted whiting so we went and got 30 for his dinner on the way back in this arvo with a huge run in the tide decided to trawl on the northern side of the hope banks and you would not believe it that's where the schoolies were sitting kept 4 dropped 3 ,and to top it all off the whales turned up on the eastern side of green island as well. Happy day

IMG_44933.jpg
IMG_1596.jpg
133826.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:36 pm

everyday changes my friend the whiting master came with me today and the mackerel were on on the way out just in close to the hyubers and around a mile east with the incoming tide which was roaring in and the whiting today at the entrance of the small boat channel were huge,the whales were there as well in the morning going out, and on the way home just on slack water the schoolies were on again north west of the hope bank beacon..and the whales were still there. Great day on the bay, and by the look of the photo the whiting master enjoyed his chunky steak pie.

IMG_20180927_123838.jpg
IMG_20180927_111807.jpg
IMG_20180927_102640.jpg
IMG_20180927_084126.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:27 pm

Some good days on the bay and the school mackerel season just keeps on keeping on,with lots of first time fisherman getting into the diving boards with spoons and taking home a good feed of schoolies .the big tides seem to slow them up a little but they seem to be travelling all over the known spots ,the only quite spots seem to be on the western side of moreton .from the sandhills all the way to shark spit and to the four beacons ,i myself have not gone up as there are plenty of fun to have closer to home but from reports from friends that have gone up not much luck at all.
the area from between hyubers and the southern yellow marker at green is producing some small fish but on the od days some big buggers .but they are not always there,but the area east of the hyubers and south in the drop off has been holding lots of schoolies ,whether you are trolling or anchored up with pillies.
interesting last week i found whole small prawns in the mackerel stomachs.
and of course the whiting in the small boat passage all the way thru the rous are of some of the best quality i have seen.
in between seasons for us with the warm weather trying to start ,lets hope its an early spotty season and the water temp gets to where they like it to come into the bay.
and the best thing this time of year is the humbacks in the bay with their babies.

IMG_1617.JPG
IMG_1619.JPG
IMG_20181009_081929.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:49 am

Well fishing stopped to a walk as the heavens finally opened up ,looked like the bayside was going to miss out again but 80 ml will keep us cutting the grass and twice a week.the fishing especially whiting and squire should be as good as ever and pretty sure crabbing will be ok as well ,judging by the size of some mudcrabs beeing caught in the marina i would be putting in crabpots in the mouths of most crreks.
The only downside after large rain events is all the small bull sharks and catfish in the shallow reefs around the inner islands ,but inbetween some nice squire should prevail..midweek for a couple of days looks like beeing ok..
so polish the rods oil the reels and new traces and hooks and get ready ...

Chu

Post by Chu » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:58 pm

Despite the grey skies early this morning, I decided to head out Scarborough reef for a fish. The sea was very calm, contrary to what was forecasted which maybe the reason why not many boats was out there. For over 2.5 hours I regretted going out. There was hardly any bites and it rained a few times. I tried various baits and rigs with no success. I even thought of moving to a different area, which I don't often do.

Then out of the blue, the reel screamed...a decent squire around 48cm, made my morning. After about 5 mins, I was on to another bite and just as I was reeling it in, the other rod screamed. When I tighten the drag of the other rod I knew it was a decent size fish and hoped that it did not head into the reef as I continued to reel the other fish. It was a heart pumping few minutes as I landed one and quickly took the other rod, with a fish still flapping around on the boat. The result was two sweetlips around the 40cm mark.

Finally after a week, some fresh fish for dinner!

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:08 pm

Some nice Schoolies on sat lunchtime wide of the hyubers on the change of the tide and plenty of good quality whiting at the southern side at the entrance to the small boat channel.sand crabs ate quite in close and could not find any whales anywhere today .some nice snapper on the inside of moreton island and a few nice fish at green. Sunday looks like a nice day... let's hope.
IMG_20181020_095827.jpg
Whiting 20 Oct 2018-1.jpg

kmcrosby78

Post by kmcrosby78 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:39 pm

Thanks for all of the tips thus far Spero - my boys had a ball catching 21 whiting with my wife and I on Saturday, plus seeing tuna working the surface, me hooking a small shark, and also seeing dolphins, turtles and a couple of dugongs. Magic day on our bay in glorious conditions.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:32 pm

Couple of glorious day on the bay the school mackerel have moved out to the eastern side of hope banks and they are under the feeding tuna and some really nice fish and had a great run on squire and a couple of big snapper this arvo at green it was magic pity the damn northerly arrived right on the last two hours of the outgoing tide but plenty of fish anyway and close to home.

IMG_20181023_122318.jpg
IMG_20181023_115846.jpg
IMG_20181023_102508.jpg
IMG_20181023_083634.jpg
44.jpg