47 Kinghorne st
Nowra, NSW 2541
Ph: (02) 4421 2418
mccallumssports@shoalhaven.net.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 21/3/19

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:37 pm

Locally the offshore boys and girls tackled some testing conditions in the first JB shoot out with the Sunday producing 30knot southerlies and big seas so big congrats to the top runners! You deserve your prize. With all the rain and swell of a recent I’d be thinking we should get a nice run of SNAPPER fishing,Fishing the washes either from a boat or the stones with a well presented soft plastics or bait (ie salted pillys) can be absolute deadly method! Quick tip don’t go to heavy on the sinker or jig head 1\8th jig or a small ball sinker is the go!

Touching on the stones I’ve found it personally a little on the patchy side. With RAT KINGS and BONNIES still being the most common catch. Getting a tide change with either dawn or dusk would give yourself the best chance of possibly getting that one big bite we all chase! You’ll know where I’ll be on my weekend off?

THE BLUE
Out wide we have had reports of the current stopping not only from social media but also in store from customers. With the Shoalhaven game fishing club holding their annual comp it will be interesting to see where the bite comes from. The kink, the drum maybe the banks? Good luck to all the anglers participating.

THE RIVER
With a touch of fresh coming down from the recent run off it should spark the first of the humble old BASS to start its annual spawning migration down the river in saying that we still have plenty of time to chase the humble bronze native. We still have plenty of BREAM AND PERCH stacked up at places like the hospital wall or camel rock. Anyone fishing the river would have probably noticed how much MULLET are getting around? Consider rolling hard bodies like Jackall Squirrel or the Atomic Shiner 75 Double Deep. Again key times, tides changes or even better tides changes at dawn or dusk.

THE BASIN
That bit of rain has dropped the temperature by 2 degrees but don’t fear! the fishing is still hot! With keg BREAM and solid lizards still very achievable. Again I sound like a broken record but the SAMAKI 70mm in uv MULLET fork tail is a stand out. As it really cools off some tricks I have learnt from some talented angler’s is to really dead stick soft plastics out deep. Them glassed out winter days can be really tough but using plastic’s like the 3ich minnow in watermelon pearl on a 1/20th jig head in the 20 to 25 feet range it’s a must! Simply cast, peel your banana, eat it and work the plastic ha-ha it can be that easy.

McCallum's Tackle World
47 Kinghorne St, Nowra
Ph: (02) 4421 2418
fishin@mccallumstackleworld.com.au

Nowra.jpg