10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
sperok
Reporter

Report 7/9/19

Post by sperok » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:31 am

With spring arriving the temperature thank heavens is up a few degrees and the fishing is very good at the moment,the winds have eased (except these last few days)and we have had some glorious days on the bay,spent a few days out on the bay and there were plenty of school mackerel around ,from the area between green island to the hyubers to ormiston and managed a few nice ones at the amity banks side of the area in front of the lazaret gutter,with lots of small ones in abundance i decided to try the white pink and chrome smith jigs and they worked a treat catching many more bigger fish so worth putting one spoon and one smith jig on when trolling..plenty of squire in the shallow reefs around the islands and some very big snapper in the mt cotton reach in the rous channel.
The whiting are now thick in all the areas from the start of the chain banks all the way thru the rous channel with some really big fish ,and the tiger squid are starting to show up again ,the arrows and cuttlefish are slowing a little as you would expect with the warmer weather.
Clean up time while the winds are howling and reading the new fishing rules ,the way i see it not many changes affecting us in the bay apart from the 4 week closure of the snapper/squire fishing from the 15 july to 15 august and to be kept whole when on the boat.,mud crab possession of 7 down from 10 and sand crabs from unlimited to 20.and label on the pots of surname and full address.
does not sound so bad to me and all pro fisherman will be sent thru changes from fisheries direct to them,speaking of pro fisherman please dont get angry at the pro netting shark and school mackerel in the bay they have been doing this for years and its their livelyhood and it has not made a difference in the amount of schoolies in the bay in my opinion ,we are catching more today then all the years past.
IMG_20190905_101949.jpg
IMG_20190905_064458.jpg
IMG_20190904_165305.jpg
IMG_20190904_115203.jpg
IMG_20190904_092308.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: spring has started

Post by sperok » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:58 pm

The winds eased and the fish are out there waiting for us and they are close in thats the schoolies ,they were so close in today did not even go past the hyubers light .pretty sure the are all along the front as well but the bigger fish were between hyubers and green island,i am finding the chrome and white and pink smith jigs are picking up the bigger fish ,i tried one last week and it just caught the bigger fish and today the chrome outdid the pink and white so its worth trolling one one one rod.
good snapper /squire at green island and the rous channel mt cotton reach is fishing very well.
so the weather looks like its on the improve the cuttlefish and arrow squid have slowed right down but the tigers are not far away i would think.
20190912_102536.jpg
20190912_093538.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 7/9/19

Post by sperok » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:03 pm

The weather gods were good to us and it was great to see so many of our readers out there catching the schoolies which are not only plentiful but very large and so so close to home and a pleasure to see all the young ones out there catching a few with dads and mums .as mentioned the smith jigs are working as well as the spoons but i think a little better but with that many fish around i think you can catch a feed using whatever ,so people using slugs catching them just dropping and winding up as quick as they could others floating pillies so enjoy them while they are close in we managed plenty on the way to peel for the week end, and there were some nice ones at peel opposite the lazaret as well but plenty of small ones.
some nice squire/snapper on the northern side of peel especially when you catch them on grinner bodies i knew they were good for something...and plenty of whiting (big buggers) in the small boat passage and the entrance of the rous channel especially on the northern side at the red and green markers,,so no excuse for not getting a feed and sunday the whales were east of green island and harries artificial reef just to make the day extra special.
20190915_111835.jpg
20190915_105507.jpg
20190914_150944.jpg
20190914_143056.jpg
20190914_125104.jpg
20190914_083326.jpg
20190914_083250.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:42 pm

It was great to get so much feedback from many of our readers catching plenty of school mackerel over the week end ,got sent some great shots of smiling faces with fish onboard the boats ,hopefully the next generation of young one fish more and play less computer games..thought i would share. my photo of ward and his daughter amy not the best but they were very happy and angus mcmaster took out his son johnny and his friend henry smith and by the smiles had a great day..
Went out today and still plenty around and the good news is the tiger squid are starting to show up at green island.and the chrome smiths still working great .
file-50.jpg
file-49.jpg
20190916_122625.jpg
20190916_111649.jpg
20190916_110942.jpg
20190916_105413.jpg
20190916_092106.jpg
20190916_101630.jpg
20190916_105413.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:23 pm

Nice day out in the bay the mackerel were not as thick close in but they are a little further out and a little south in 28 to 35 ft depth and all big fish but the dolphins have worked out when one is hooked .and the whiting were not in large numbers but quality was very good in the small boat channel,lets hope the week end weather is good for everyone to get out there and catch a few of these XL schoolies.
have had a few emails re not catching any while others are,and there are a couple of things to remmember,
!.halco or makka spoons 3 inch
2.smith jigs chrome ,white or pink 3 inch
3.delta boards ,yamashita boards or orange trolling boards the best
and NO WIRE to the lure it just does not work in the bay,and the last thing when hooked drop the revs and leave the boat in gear you will not loose as many fish.
and this time of the year with the blubber big jellies in the water it looks like a hit and you think you are missing bites its the diving board hitting the blubbers..
hope everyone has a great week end fishing.
my mate had a ball today after sleeping in but the fish did not care..great quality schoolies
20190919_085723.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:48 pm

Schoolies Have dispersed from close in .still some in close but they are in a line east of the hyubers and south in the area before the deeper trenches.also along the amity banks at the two greens going towards peel .also plenty of a small ones at peel mixed with a few XL ones
.anchored up wide of the hyubers sat afternoon hour before high tide and picked up a few on pillies and plenty came up behind boat.so still around just have to find them.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:21 pm

mackerel still around in good numbers a few still in close mixed with some small ones but big buggers out a little wider and further south trolling or floating pillies .. and the whiting are in big numbers at the small boat channel and the entrance to the rous.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:54 pm

A few good days comming up by the look of the wind forcasts so lets hope all is correct,the school mackerel were a little slower with the big tides and dirty water ,but will be back on as the water clears and the tides ease of a little,so its a matter of going thru the same areas to see where they might have moved to, we picked a couple on the amity bank side of the peel basin and then a couple on the western side at the two greens heading back to manly and a couple more outside the hyubers light.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:17 am

Big schoolies still around in the deeper water in front of the hyubers and ormiston in 30 ft depth and getting better as the water is starting to clear and the tides a little smaller,and a few nice ones also caught in the rous channel with a floating pilly while fishing for whiting,the squire were in full swing yesterday as well at harrys and t the mt cotton reach in the rous channel.
for anyone waiting for yamashita,delta boards and orange yozuri type K5 and halco spoons and smith jigs watertower bait and tackle just got in supplies.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:16 pm

I have met so many wonderful people since starting the reporting for moreton bay who not only enjoyed reading the reports but actually could see helping others catch a fish or two was one of the most satisfying things one could do,a lovely man jeff who was always on the bay on a lovely boat called "curly one" became a great mate out on the water and we would stop and have a chat everytime we saw each other and was happy to pass information to help others,i stopped seeing jeff for a long time not having exchanged numbers we only saw each other out on the water,i posted a few times on this page and others to see if i could catch up,but not to be,well this past week i saw the boat and was so excited when straight over with a smile on my face,but it was not jeff his daughter and her son and then the shittiest of news jeff had passed away,it was the worst news i could have heard,my sympathy to all the family even being so long ago it feels like jeff will always be in moreton bay,and seeing curly one out on the water brings joy and sadness RIP jeff.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:23 pm

The weather has not been to great with only an odd day good to get out for a fish and the rain was a welcoming site on the week end ,it really brought the whiting on, not that they needed to get any better, the small boat channel and the rous have been really firing with smaller fish on the chain banks and bigger fish further east and some nice schoolies being caught with floating pillies while whiting fishing.
Whiting master and i had a good day on monday with plenty of whiting to keep us happy and a couple of schoolies on the way home not monsters just on 55 cm.
The close in areas slowed down with the big schoolies, big tides and northerly winds churned the water up and i think as the water starts to clear and the run gets smaller they will be back on the bite,i would be looking for them where the water is cleaner at the momment ,around the mt cotton reach area and the dog leg in the rous at the 4 reds.
Lots of emails re distance behind the boat to troll your boards at and i found these berkley line counters on ebay and not very expensive ,its a good way to see how far back from your boat the fish are hitting and helps get you to understand the distance you need to troll at.once you have done it a few times you can take them off ,not many of us can afford those lovely reels with the line counters on.
Going thru my fishing cupboards i found these lovely old yozuri boards that we use to use all the time many many moons ago.
20191015_084046.jpg
20191015_084016.jpg
20191014_114026.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:33 pm

Funny old day with storms without wind and just a little rain the boats that stuck it out caught plenty of fish and some great reports came in with some really nice fish.plenty of whiting on the chain banks and the rous ,lots of snapper at mt cotton reach and the big school mackerel were north west of tangalooma on the edges of the shipping channels,some small ones close in as well so plenty of fish just had to be in the right place while dodging the storms.