10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 23/9/05

Post by Brad » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:38 am

The zephyr we experienced the early last week definitely kept anglers off the water for a few days. Before the front came in I managed a quick trip out to Mud Island one morning before work and caught 4.8kg and 2.7kg snapper on soft plastics across the rubble grounds on the eastern side. The larger fish hit first drop of the 3” gold Curltail, fished on a TT Tournament ¼ jighead with 3/0 HW hook. I had just clicked the bail arm over and the rod buckled. The second fish came a few minutes later and I though I was in for a good session, however the bite slowed considerably after that with a procession of small squire to 32cm, two estuary cod, a flathead, a sole, two small grass sweetlip and too many grinners. All of these remaining fish were relatively small.

The rocky points and fingers of rock around the Scarborough and Redcliffe areas have produced a few nice bream, chopper tailor, estuary cod and pike. Most anglers have been fishing soft plastics but bait has also worked well. Scott’s Point has produced some nice bream at night in the shallows towards high tide on pieces of pillie.

Plenty of small whiting and a few flathead have been caught around the Hornibrook Bridge and up towards Dohles Rocks. Trolling or casting small lures is a good way to tempt a few keepers with fish to 50cm commonly caught.

The Jumpinpin area has produced a few quality bream recently with anglers mainly using quality fresh baits for good results. Tailor, flathead and a few trevally have also been caught at times.

Tailor have sometimes been schooling towards the Jumpinpin Bar during the rising tide. Small chrome slices have been the most successful method when they are actively feeding like this.

School mackerel are still being caught on the northern end of St.Helena Island. Drifting unweighted pillies is your best bet on a rising tide.

Schools of mack tuna and longtails have been sighted throughout most areas of the bay but they have been extremely hard to tempt, even when you can get within casting range.

Live-baiting around the beacons in the northern bay has been productive for the occasional longtail and cobia. Don’t forget to fish a few fillet baits around the base of the beacons while you are waiting for your livie to be engulfed as squire, snapper, morwong, cod, red emperor (not a typo), sweetlip and other species can be caught.

May your bait be nervous.

Gordon Macdonald
Tackle Warehouse
Ph. 07 33986500
masterbaitertackle@hotmail.com