Report 25/2/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:47 am

Current discharge: 5500 ML per day.
Water level 24/02/16: 48.3%
Current inflow: 390 ML per day.
Water level 17/02/16: 51.4%
Water visibility: up to 2 metres
Rain past 7 days: 0.0 mm
Forecast Weather: Mostly sunny with a top temp of 32 for the weekend. Light winds from the east all weekend
Full Moon = February 23rd New Moon = March 9th Water Temperature: 23-25 deg

Murray Cod: The water levels have continued to fall at an increased rate this past week with a total drop of 3.1 % or 31.806 ML. The dropping water & hot temps over the past week seem to have made the big cod a bit sulky. Smaller cod have not been too bad. Garry from Queanbeyan was here for 3 days fishing and managed 6 cod all on lures in the Main Basin, 45, 49, 52, 65, 70 & 80 cm. The 80 cm was the biggest fish on this weeks catch sheet. There were quite a few above 70 cm. I decided to have a troll on Tuesday night. I spent about 4 hrs trolling a big lure behind the boat and flicking a Jackall Transam into the shallows or anywhere that looked fishy. It was a beautiful night to be on the water after the very hot day. The fishing was not so hot. I picked up a small fat cod on about the 3rd cast with the Transam and couldn’t even get a snag after that. I called it a night about 11 pm. A lot of the bigger fish have been caught in the wee hours of the morning.

Yellow Belly: Seemed to come on the bite mid last week once the water out flow increased. Some of the big trees in the deep water have started to peek out of the water. Shrimp have been the bait of choice on these trees with some really good numbers being caught. The Goodradigbee River around Wade Island has been giving up some good fish as has the trees back up the Dam around Narran Gullen Island. You will still need to keep moving around the trees however 8 to 10 fish per boat has been common. Lure fisherman, time to try the plastic grubs on these trees. I managed 3 Yellows on Friday afternoon in the last hour before dark, all on a mask vibe in less than 6 metres of water. So casting to rocky points and rock walls early morning and late evenings is well worth a try.

Redfin: Are everywhere down the bottom end of the dam. The catch sheet is full of redfin reports. They love the shrimp also so you will need to move trees if you want to catch yellows or swap to a small plastic or blade to catch a feed. A lot of small fish amongst the few big ones.

Park News: The 2nd round of the Australian Yellow Belly Championships will be held at Burrinjuck on the 23rd & 24th April. Registration at http://www.aycfishingtournaments.com/.

Bush fire prevention works are continuing during the week. This is being done with a large excavator with a mulcher on the front. Please keep well clear if you do visit us mid- week.

Easter is fast approaching. We have no cabins or powered sites available. Unpowered sites can be booked online in advance at www.iwhp.com.au/burrinjuckwaters. You will still need to check in at the office on arrival. No dogs allowed during the 4 days of Easter.

Dean Brind
Manager Burrinjuck Waters Holiday Park
Ph: 02 62278114
manager@burrinjuckwaters.com.au
www.inlandwaters.com.au