Report 7/5/17

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 7/5/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Tue May 09, 2017 1:25 pm

Over the past month the weather has been, well not very suitable for fishing with only a couple of days that allowed the fishermen to venture out and they returned with mixed reports. We are entering the time of the year when the weather is expected to favour the the fishermen so hopefully we will have more to report in the coming weeks.

Those fishermen that fished the estuaries have been rewarded with some good barramundi, king salmon, fingermark and the usual whiting and flathead and bream. We have found that since the net free zones have been around, the fishing around Central Queensland has improved out of sight, and we must commend those that implemented and worked behind the scenes to get these zones.

While on the estuary scene, the crabbing has been great with most of the crabber returning home with a good feed, there have been crabs caught from all the estuaries along the Coast.

The weather has certainly effected the beach fishing as it has been to rough as well as all the floodwaters coming out from the Fitzroy river, but on the odd accasion there were some that fishing the protected beaches. They reported only a few fish caught and nothing to write home about, but they all intend to venture out once the wind eases and the water clears.

Crabbing:
I had the opportunity last weekend to go up to the hut and have a crab and try some of the new crabpots out, now all up took 4 pots and returned with 4 crabs in one tide, I was happy to give two crabs to a family member and a mate, and they both enjoyed the feed from these crabs.

We are in the process of organising the 2nd I CRAB Classic to be held on the 23rd, 24th and 25th June 2017. If you would like to know more like us on the I CRAB Facebook or Coucoms crabpots and fishing gear facebook page and we will help you out. Monies from this goes to Rescue helicopter, SES and Beyond Blue. This is the most fairest crabbing competition around, as after all the crabs are weighed in the mystery weights are revealed an the closest crab weighed in to that weight is the winner. The overall section is open to seniors and juniors and will win a Polycraft Tuff Tender crabbing boat, there is about $10,000 prizes up for grabs with this competition.

Now there will be a lot of you out there wondering what I CRAB is, it has been set up to teach people to crab the right way, already we are teaching student at 2 schools in this area on crabbing and looking after our crab stocks for the future generations., the sale of the I CRAB shirts goes toward the teaching and lessons for the students. If you know of any club or organization that would like to have us attend and present a crabbing information night please contact me at the shop on Ph: 07 49302301 or anyone wanting advise or information on fishing Central Queensland or I CRAB, please contact us on coucomscrabpots@gmail.com and we will certainly help you out where we can.

Keep the crabpots baited and set till next time

Alan Coucom

The new Dad’s Dilly, approved by QLD, NSW and NT Fisheries.
Coucoms.jpg
Coucoms.jpg (22.28 KiB) Viewed 304 times
Coucom’s Crabpots and Fishing Gear
Phone: 07 49302301
Email: coucomscrabpots@gmail.com