Report 27/1/17

Mal McKinlay
malcolmmckinlay0@gmail.com
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 27/1/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:41 am

In this report I have some good news and some bad news for all you avid Maroochy fishos.

First the good news – all the tourists, day trippers and holiday makers have deserted us in droves leaving the river to us retired, cranky old fishos. Now the bad news – they must have taken most of the quality whiting I’ve been catching, with them. I fished around the Jan 17 new moon on the run back tide and the run-in tide using surf worms and yabbies for bait and did not raise one whiting on either trip. Conditions should have been perfect for whiting as the tides were amongst the biggest we will have all year. One unusual thing that did occur on the day I fished the run-out tide, was that my favourite bait the humble soldier crab did not come out either. It was a sunny, hot day with the wind at 30ks from the south east which may have influenced their decision. I have not seen too many days when the crabs don’t show at all, but this was one of them. It seemed it was an omen because apart from a few small bream (released) I had nothing to show for my efforts. No doubt about it – fishing has a way of bringing you back to earth with a thud.

One of my regular contact readers Troy, who had been bagging out on quality whiting consistently before Christmas fished his usual night spots with blood worms around the new moon but managed only a dozen quality fish. Well done Troy, I have enclosed a photo of his effort.

It has been at least 6 weeks since the last decent drop of rain, so I think we may struggle to catch any serious contender whiting downstream until the next deluge. Those big whiting tend to head upstream as the water clarity improves and at the moment the waters around the Goat Island reaches are is almost crystal clear. So, here’s hoping for rain soon (the last time I said that we had 300mls in a week).

I just got back from a caravan trip to Ballina and while I was down there I managed only enough whiting in a week for one feed. I kept myself entertained trying to pull beach worms. It took me 3 worming sessions before I could work out a system that was smarter than the worms were. Those NSW worms are long, strong and thick as your finger. The worms hang on for grim death and almost pull you back down the worm hole with them. They are great bait and they are so big you only need a half dozen for a good fishing session.

By the time most of you read this report we will be experiencing the Jan full moon. Normally I would advise that this is the best time to get among some quality whiting, but I will reserve my advice until I give them a go myself. If you can obtain blood worms, they are easily the best bait for whiting in the river, particularly for night fishing. Otherwise there are plenty of yabbies on the banks at low tide all around Goat Island and hopefully, my favourite bait for whiting (soldier crabs) will be back to their best. Let’s hope this hot weather starts to ease up soon.

I noticed a picture of a guy with a nice mulloway caught under the motorway bridge in the local newspaper, might be the time of the year to get some live herrings and give it ago.

If you'd like to share some of your fishing adventures or photos, feel free to email me at malcolmmckinlay0@gmail.com.

Good Luck, Mal McKinlay

Malcolm.jpg